If a contact develops symptoms, the following steps should be taken:
- Notify the receiving medical facility that a symptomatic contact will be arriving.
- While traveling to seek care, the contact should wear a medical mask.
- The contact should avoid taking public transportation to the facility if possible; an ambulance can be called, or the ill contact can be transported in a private vehicle with all windows open, if possible.
- The symptomatic contact should be advised to perform respiratory hygiene and hand hygiene and to stand or sit as far away from others as possible (at least 1 metre) when in transit and when in the health care facility.
- Any surfaces that become soiled with respiratory secretions or other body fluids during transport should be cleaned with soap or detergent and then disinfected with a regular household product containing a 0.5% diluted bleach solution.
Source: Home care for patients with COVID-19 presenting with mild symptoms and management of their contacts
17 March 2020